Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Ronnie Golden Balls


My hero

Ronaldinho was awarded the 50th Ballon d'Or last night in Paris as the best player in Europe in 2005. Frank Lampard was second and Stevie G third.

Now while I love Ronaldinho and think he is a hero, I don't think he really desreved it this year. If anything, I think he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the planet in 2004, even if he won nothing that season. One only has to look at Barca's record in the first half of 2004 and how many of those games Ronnie won on his own, to see how good he was. I know he won La Liga and the Confederations Cup in '05, but I just felt his influence was less. I would have given it to Lampard. The amount of goals he scores for a midfielder, and his general all-round contribution, is phenomenal.

Anyhow, well done little Ronaldo :)

3 comments:

Doughnut Boy Andy said...

Not being one to disagree with you or anything........ but he is by far the greatest player in the world IMHO and will be next season too I guess. Just his Champ L matches alone are like a tutorial. Usually a lot of these tricksters arent really team players (like the arrogant prick at Man U or half of Real M's team) but this isnt the case with Ronnie, his vision, passing and team spirit and fight is top class too. I agreee Frank is great, I agree that trickster players tend to get more credit than they deserve BUT this time the decision is spot on I think.

theparttimer said...

Life's a game of opinions. And most top journalists in Europe picked him, so who am I to argue? I just feel that Ronnie should have got it in 2004 and this was partly an afterthought. I've seen it happen many times before with such awards. I also feel that Lampard's influence on Chelsea, the EPL, the CL and on Englqnd was immense in 2005. He's played 160 Premiership matches in a row for Chelsea. As a midfielder, he's the EPL's top scorer. He scored over 20 goals last season. He came out on top in the battle with Ronnie at the Bridge last season, despite Ronnie's sublime goal that night. And let's not forget Lampard plays in inferior teams.

As I say, each to his own.

Doughnut Boy Andy said...

I am surprised at your opinion to be fair. I do rate Frank but ike I say I think Ronnie is in a class of his own. To be fair though I dont see Chelsea matches as often as you do.